Friday 8 June 2012

Euro 2012 Bracket Predictions

Well folks, I'll see if I can get post more often, so here are my predictions on the Euro 2012 cup that are starting today.

Group A: Czech Republic (1st), Russia (2nd), Greece (3rd), Poland (4th)
Every tournament, World Cup included, there are always those surprise teams that make it to the quarters, semis or even finals. I think this group's Czech Republic or Russia could be that surprise team. Poland will surprise Greece in the first game, maybe a draw, to give the host country some excitement in their first game. Czech Republic will take the group on Petr Cech's back. I think Russia will be playing in some really exciting games though.

Group B: Germany (1st), Portugal (2nd), Netherlands (3rd), Denmark (4th)
Yes, Germany no surprise...but Portugal!?!?!? I'm thinking Netherlands will be the surprise giant to not make it through. There offense is still dangerous, but I do question their defense. I think it's time for Portugal to fully step into the spotlight of being a top contender. They've been hearing the parties of their neighbors in Spain and want to join in on the success. I think Christiano Ronaldo will really step up for Portugal and they'll get a surprise point or three against Netherlands. Does Denmark really have a chance with these three powerhouses in their pool?

Group C: Spain (1st), Italy (2nd), Croatia (3rd), Ireland (4th)
Not too much variability in this group. Spain are the clear favorites, which I agree. I have some bias, since I will be cheering for Italy, but I do believe they can make it out of group stage. Croatia is a dangerous team though; it will all be dependent on the type of Italy team that shows up; the '06 WC team or the '10 World Cup team?

Group D: England (1st), Sweden (2nd), France (3rd), Ukraine (4th)
I honestly think that this could be the group that any of the four teams could make it through. England's lost a lot of players to injuries, Sweden has improved in leaps and bounds, France has the experience and Ukraine is a host team. Benzema is a dangerous player, but I don't think he can do enough for France to bring them out of the hole this country has been digging at international events. I think losses or ties to Sweden and/or Ukraine kills their chances. I do like Sweden's chances of surprising France and Ukraine and moving through to the knockout stage.

I'll do a reassessment after the group stage is done, but just in case I'm awesome and everything falls where it should, here are my knockout predictions:
Quarters:
Czech Republic over Portugal
Germany over Russia
Spain over Sweden
Italy over England

Semis:
Spain over Czech Republic
Germany over Italy

Finals:
Germany over Spain

Not a very detailed Euro breakdown, but I wanted to get my thoughts in before the tournament. Get my predictions in so that when I'm right, I can say I told you so. Enjoy the games!

No comments:

Post a Comment