Friday 22 June 2012

NHL 2012 Draft

Well, this will be a relatively shorter post. The NHL 2012 Draft is starting shortly. I'm not going to give any in-depth analysis of picks or predictions because I simply don't know enough about the minor league players.  I just have some general comments I would like to make.

First off, no matter who the Oilers pick with the number one (if they keep the #1), the Oilers are going to be a dangerous team in the future. Look at what happened with the Penguins. They were a pretty crappy team until they got Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Marc Andre Fleury, Jordan Staal. Then in 2008 they are Stanley Cup runner ups and the year after that, they are Stanley Cup champs. Make note, the Edmonton Oilers will win the Stanley Cup in 2016! I think any of the top three could go #1, but based on what I've heard and read, it does seem like Yakupov has the most natural talent. However, the Oilers desperately need a defenseman, so Ryan Murray would also be a good fit.

After losing Jeff Carter and potentially losing Rick Nash this summer, I would think Columbus would be more desperate for a skilled forward, especially after adding Jack Johnson in the Jeff Carter trade.

As for my team, Les Habitants, it's nice seeing the excitement of having a high draft pick (only good thing about this dismal season). I think another young defenseman in Ryan Murray would be great, to mature alongside PK Subban for many years to come. Yakupov would also be a nice pick-up, but I think it may be doubtful those two would be available when Montreal picks, so I think they will likely grab Alex Galchenyuk. He's a great playmaker who would fit well on an opportunistic Montreal offense.

Enjoy the draft. I'm hoping to see a few trades while it's happening. How did your team do in the draft this year? Do you think they'll make an impact this summer in preparation for 2012/2013 season?

1 comment: