Saturday 21 July 2012

UFC 148, Wimbledon, MLS

Sorry, I'm a little late on posts. I had wrote most of this before my trip to Vancouver, but didn't have the opportunity to post it. Most of this is from last week, I just added a couple things here and there. I have lots of other posts to talk about in the next couple of days including the Vancouver trip, new activities and testing out my new HD Go Pro Hero Helmet Cam.


Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen had quite the fight on Saturday,  July 7th. Sonnen dominated Silva once again in the first round, getting an excellent take down on Silva. However, Sonnen couldn’t capitalize on the dominant positioning.  In the second round, Sonnen  tried to get fancy and do a spinning back fist on Silva. Chael missed completely and lost his balance, allowing Silva to send a barrage of fists towards the challenger. This was Chael’s downfall. Why did he attempt a move he is not known for? Maybe he felt he was a one-trick pony. Perhaps he thought in order to beat Silva in this second fight, he needed to do something different; unexpected. Well, It failed for him this time. He should’ve stuck with what he was doing all along, and what had worked so well in the first fight. I’m still a strong believer that Sonnen is the only guy in the Middleweight division who can provide a decent challenge for Anderson. It doesn’t look like the champ is slowing down anytime soon.

Wimbledon finished up early in July.  I’m not really a follower of tennis, but I do appreciate the sport. A few headlines stood out to me. Kudos to Serena Williams on not only winning the women’s Wimbledon title, but also the women’s doubles title with her sister Venus. It’s an amazing athletic accomplishment to win a top tennis tournament, but you have to be incredibly talented to win two top tennis tournaments in the same weekend.  Congrats! A big congrats is also in order to Canadian youth tennis players. We had a young man, Filip Peliwo, take home the Boys Wimbledon title as well as a young woman, Eugenie Bouchard, take home the Girls Wimbledon title. I think this is a great sign for Canadian tennis to see two young athletes compete and succeed at the top level. Lastly, in the men’s final, there were two achievements the players were going for.  Roger Federer was going for his 7th Wimbledon title, Andy Murray trying to be the first Brit to win the Wimbledon title since 1936.  Roger Federer went on to capture the championship in a great match, but what I remembered most from that was the post-match interview by Andy Murray. Every player wants to win, but the emotion he conveyed in that interview was beyond measure. He was gracious and complimentary of Federer, but you could tell he was devastated to make it that far and still not capture that elusive Wimbledon title. Some say that real men don’t cry, but I certainly have lots of respect for the emotion and devotion of Andy Murray.





The MLS is starting to get interesting. There’s not a lot of teams playing crappy right now, and there aren’t a lot of teams that are unbeatable. It’s nice though to see my basement dwelling TFC starting to rack up some wins and turn around this dismal season. However, starting striker Danny Koevermans had to undergo surgery to repair a torn ACL he suffered in the last season game against New England Revolution. Just when things are starting to look up for Toronto, something always happens. Hoping for a speedy recovery! Good on the management and coaching staff though. In Koevermans absence, they have acquired Eric Hassli as well as Amarikwa from the Red Bulls. Hoping this guys step it up and keep TFC's winning ways going! And a side note for me, I’m lucking out and going to an MLS game this week. I am visiting family in Vancouver for this week and am going to see the Whitecaps play against David Beckham and the LA Galaxy. I went to a TFC game against DC United a few years back at BMO Field, and the atmosphere was ROCKING! It was the best sporting experience I ever had. I always knew that soccer/football had the best fans, but I was able to experience that personally. A 2-0 win for TFC helped the cause as well! I’m curious if I’ll have a similar experience in Van City. (*Went to the game, unreal, post to come)

No comments:

Post a Comment