Monday 30 July 2012

Vancouver Trip Part III

Thursday was the day we started our trip to Whistler. AD has family on his other side who have a condo in Whistler. We were fortunate enough to use it for the night. JB had always to climb Stawamus Mountain, also known as ‘The Chief’ which is right on the edge of Squamish BC. JB heard it was a decent climb, a couple hours. So, we packed up a bottle of water, gato and the camera, then JB, AD and I were on our way. The first five minutes were nice, like walking through some of the flat tree filled trails back home…and then the stairs came. After those first five minutes, it was nothing but uphill, and very steep! We had to take many breaks on the way up to make sure we didn’t get too dehydrated; only two drinks for three people, how silly! Our first break was along a small bridge overlooking a tiny waterfall. While we were resting up, we decided to search for a geocache in the area, to which JB found, her first one.

After that break, we continued up…..and up…..and up. There were lots of stairs, rocks, trees and steep inclines. This is the kind of hiking I LOVE to do. It was a workout the whole time. About 15-20 minutes from the top is when the terrain changed from trails through a forest to climbing mountainous rock face. We had to use the guidance of chains and ladders to help us continue to ascend. The view from the top was everything I expected and more. The drive from Vancouver to Whistler (Sea to Sky Highway) is gorgeous, but nothing compared to the view from the second peak of The Chief.  While we were at the top, we had a little picnic, found another geocache (props to AD for finding) and then started our descent down the mountain. Unbelievable hike; can’t wait to do something similar next summer. Here are some videos and pics from the hike!

Used the helmet cam for this one. I think the YouTube editing made this a little wonky though. I was wanting to use the camera from this point until we got to the top (about ten minutes more), but I misread the camera's battery life and it was actually dead.  :(  I will be more prepared I'm doing more hiking in the area!


Here is the view from the top!


It started off nice and easy......


...but then the stairs came.


JB and AD taking a break by the waterfall


The terrain we hiked.


Found a nice lookout halfway up.


Nearing the top, time for some chains!


Me and AD at the top of second peak. What a view!


JB found a comfy spot.



After leaving Squamish, we continued to Whistler where we got settled in the condo for the night. Went for a dip in the pool, watched a little Jeopardy and Big Brother, and then headed out for supper. We ate at a nice little restaurant in Whistler village, checked out some Olympic monuments, picked up some ice cream from Cows, and hit up a pub for some drinks and darts before our big event for the evening…the midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises! What a movie. It contends with The Dark Knight for best Batman. I don’t want to really say too much on it and spoil the movie for anyone. I can’t wait to see it again.

Friday morning we had planned on going kayaking on Lake Alta in Whistler, but the rain put a damper on those plans L So, we headed back to Burnaby a little earlier. AD, JB and I hit up the driving range for a while. I got a few tips from AD to help get rid of my nasty slice I have, especially off the tee with my driver. We quickly rushed back to the house after for me and my aunt BD to head downtown for supper with another one of my cousins, ED. It was actual nice and relaxing to be walking downtown (I know, hypocritical/oxymoron, right?) and catching up with ED. After a nice supper of chicken fajitas at a sports pub, we headed back to the house for a nice relaxing evening. We had the whole family there along with JB, MD’s gf G and AD’s bud N (again, sorry for the abbreviations).  We played Pictionary, Taboo and Scattergories. It was a fun night with lots of laughs and good times. It is what I would consider quality time spent together; doesn’t always have to be elaborate or expensive. When you’re around the right kind of people, it doesn’t matter what you do, it’ll be well worth it. After board games, AD, MD and I headed downstairs and wrapped up the night with some Tiger Woods, MarioKart and Goldeneye. A great finish to a great trip.

So, in a nutshell, that was my very short trip to Vancouver. I am already looking forward to my next trip out west next summer. That is one good thing about moving to Alberta, I am able to connect more with these quality individuals in my life who I love and adore.

No comments:

Post a Comment