Thursday 26 July 2012

Vancouver Trip Part II

We continue with Wednesday, July 18th. I do believe this was the day we went out to eat at Whitespot for lunch. According to AD, it's the most British Columbian restaurant you can eat at. Great food.

That afternoon, AD, JB, MB and I went to a local park to play some tennis. Me and AD played one game, not a set, but a game (to four points or whatever, y'know, after the whole 40-30 mark) for about twenty minutes. We must've had fifteen deuces. After that, we played a couple doubles matches with AD and myself taking on the B siblings. Very even play, very matched. After finishing up, JB, MB and myself played around with the soccer ball for a bit before we decided to go back to B's place to rest/watch the TFC game. That afternoon was wonderful and reminded me of home; getting together with a couple good folks and doing something active and fun. One of the things I miss most...

Thanks to one of AD's buddies, I was very fortunate to go to the Vancouver Whitecaps/LA Galaxy game that night. I was wanting to see if it matched up with the atmosphere of the TFC game I went to a couple years back. 21,000 fans were in that building that night (I had originally heard 35,000, but I guess those were teh tickets available?). It didn't feel as 'homey' as BMO field does, but that was one of the downfalls AD mentioned about moving the team to BC Place. The fans definitely seemed to be a bit rowdier at BMO as well, but maybe that was because I was near the supporter section.

Play wise, I was amazed at the level of these guys; in particular watching David Beckham play. I always knew the guy was good, but he was so fluid, so sure with his feet. He may not have the cardio like he used to, especially being around a bunch of young guys, but with his talent you don't have to work hard, just smart. It puts things in perspective too. If he isn't a star in the EPL (English Premier League)/not good enough to play on the top teams there, how good does that make those players? Imagine watching Lionel Messi or Christiano Ronaldo in person. How scary good are they?

The game was great, Vancouver came out and dominated the first half. I don't know the team that well, but one player that jumped out at me was midfielder Barry Robson. He had one hell of a game, both his level of play and the quality of his chances he was getting. Even scored a goal too. Galaxy took control in the second half though, dominating possession, chances and then finally capitalizing on two goals in the final ten minutes. We were lucky, all four goals were scored on the same net that we were right behind.

Here's some pics and vids from the game. It was a great night out, and the one thing I had requested to AD we do on my trip.

David Beckham free kick:


Vancouver Whitecaps vs. LA Galaxy:


Great pressure and scoring opportunities by the Galaxy; David Beckham corners:


Team Entrances:


Dodging a tackle:


David Beckham Free Kick:


Barry Robson with a crack on net:


Beckham and Robbie Keane:


Me and AD:



Vancouver Trip Part III, the Finale coming soon! Check your local movie theater for listings!

No comments:

Post a Comment